My DE grade book
A grade book is available to teachers in My D-E to track student work and calculate various statistics. You also have the option to publish assignment grades to students if you wish. Other features include:
- automatically adding grade book entries at the same time as posting homework assignments
- viewing individual student analytics and scores including comparisons to class averages for an assignment
- calculating overall averages using your choice of methods including weighting assignments by type (e.g. projects 50%, quizzes 20%, etc) or using a total points system
To access the My DE grade book, select a class under Classes then click on Gradebook. Here is a four-minute video introduction to using the My DE grade book:
One-Time (per semester) grade book setup
Click here for step by step directions for setting up your My DE grade book. You only need to do this once per semester. Also, note the recommendations below.
- For the Gradebook calculation setting, use Marking Period. This will allow you to calculate separate averages for semester 1 and semester 2.
- Calculation method:
- If all of your assessments within an assignment type/category are worth the same, choose Percentages. For example, if you want every quiz to have the same weight toward the semester cumulative and every essay to have the same weight as every other essay, choose Percentages. (Essays can still be worth more than quizes based on what you enter for the Assginment Type Weight %.)
- If you want each of your assessments to have different weights even within the same assignment type, choose a Total point method. For example, a Total point method is appropriate if Test 2 should be worth twice as much as Test 1.
- Click the blue circle with white "i" icon next to the calculation method if you want to read more details on a setting.
- If you want to enter numeric grades for each assessment, do NOT choose a Letter Grade Scale.
- Ignore the marking period that says "do not use 2nd semester marking period xxx". There is no need to set that one up. For sem 2 use the one that says "2nd semester marking period" (without the XXX).
- If you want to share individual assignment/assessment grades with US students, you need to enable that in grade book under Display Options > Access > Students AND you need to enable Publish in each assignment when you create it (or edit it later). Students will only be able to see their own grades not those of peers. By default, students can not see grades unless you enable this. Principals and chairs suggest and request that you do not show cumulative grades so only enable "Show assignment grades" under grade book Display Options.
The video above is a good introduction to the My DE grade book. However, if you prefer written information here is more from Blackbaud (the developmer of the My DE software):